Here is a copy of the email that I’ve sent out to fellow Bloggers that were interested in sharing their sleep and bedtime experiences within their family:
As the bedtime routine is very tricky in our household, and this has prompted me to research sleep in children and I would like to reach out to other families, it doesn’t matter if bedtimes are tricky or if they work well for you, I’d like to do featured posts from other Bloggers for the first time on my Blog and help by sharing Blog URL’s and other links to social media accounts. Whilst (hopefully) receiving experiences from other Bloggers, I hope to write a post about the research that I’ll be doing on sleep and bedtimes in children. My children are 4 and 17 months, currently my 4-year-old isn’t coping well with bedtimes, but my 17-month-old copes fairly well. It would be great to hear from families who have children from birth to around 12 years old but I’d also be happy to feature older children’s sleep and bedtime experiences.
I will not make any judgements on experiences shared, and you can share as much or as little personal information as you like. (If you have 1 child please skip questions 4 and 5.)
Here are the questions:
1. Please explain a bit about yourself. How many children you have and how old are they? You can add children’s’ names or keep anon.
2. What is your child(ren)’s usual bedtime routine? E.g. Bath time, story, (how many?) etc.
3. If your child has tried to gain your attention after you’ve said goodnight, what do you do? Go back to see what the problem is? Leave them?
4. Does your child share a room with a sibling or have their own room?
5. Do you have any tips for siblings sharing a room? Do they wake each other up in the night/morning? Do you put your youngest or eldest up first?
6. What is your child(ren)’s usual bedtime? And usual awake time? Do you have any views on putting later to bed, does it mean that they get up slightly later? Or still the same time in the morning?! We have found that it doesn’t matter how late to bed, the children still get up at 5am regardless! Sometimes earlier!
7. Do you have any strategies or tips for a smooth running bedtime? We have tried:
· A specified amount of bedtime stories.
· Using bubble tubes/rainbow projector.
· Listening to classical music.
· Using a bedtime sticker chart.
Do you have any other strategies that have worked for you?
8. Does your child still have day time naps? Morning or afternoon? Morning and afternoon? As my 4-year-old gets up at 5am, by 4pm to bedtime (7pm) I describe as our ‘tricky’ time as she no longer has an afternoon nap but at this point she is extremely tired. This can affect behaviours throughout evening meal time, bath time and getting ready for bed. Do you have any advice/tips on how you deal with times like this?
I’m greatful to have received so answers via email already, I will be featuring these experiences from this week onwards. I would be also happy to receive Blog post links to share stories or answers to the questions above from any of my social media followers who’d like to share their experiences of sleep and bedtimes. Please email:
And I will send the questions to you!
Thanks for reading 🙂